Your first week in Israel - After Aliyah
Your first hours
You've just landed. Mazaltov, and welcome to Israel.
As you arrive at Ben Gurion airport, new immigrants need to be processed with 2 government offices - Misrad HaKlitah (The Ministry of Immigrant Absorption) and Misrad HaPnim (The Ministry of the Interior). Misrad HaKlitah will process and classify you as an Oleh Hadash (new immigrant). Misrad HaPnim will issue your new Israel identity card - Teudat Zehut.
You will be directed to the Misrad HaKlitah office.
While at the Misrad HaKlitah office at the airport:
- You will be given a Teudat Oleh - Oleh Certification (it's a small booklet)
- New immigrants will receive an identification number - mispar teudat zehut.
- Registration for Health Fund insurance - Kupat Holim. You have the option to register for one of the four Health Funds at the airport or you can do it within the first few days at the offices of the Kupat Holim of your choice or at the post office. You will receive a temporary Health Fund membership card - kartis haver
- If you are eligible, you will receive the first payment of your Aliyah Benefit
- Documentation required for opening your first bank account.
- Transport voucher. You are entitled to a free taxi ride from the airport to your chosen destination.
- Once this is all wrapped up, you will be given another document that you must take to the Misrad HaPnim office.
At Misrad HaPnim:
Misrad HaPnim will issue your teudat zehut - your new identity card. In order for them to do this, you must ensure that you have all the necessary your supporting aliyah documents with you; passports for all family members, birth certificates, marriage or divorce certifications, proof of Judaism or conversion papers. Make sure you have the originals and plenty of copies too. Also you will need passport photographs for each member of the family.
Your first week - Top priority
- Open a bank account
- Register for a Health Fund if you did not do this at Ben Gurion airport.
- Schedule an appointment with a representative of Misrad HaKlitah. At this appointment new immigrants will be given vouchers for Ulpan (intensive Hebrew learning program). Have all your questions ready for the Klitah representative.
- Your children must be registered for school with the Education Department of your local municipality or regional council.
Misrad HaKlitah branches and contact information http://www.moia.gov.il/English/About/ServicePoints/Pages/default.aspx
- Register for an Ulpan. If you are not entitled to the 5 month, free, ulpan benefit from Misrad HaKlitah, you can register with a private Ulpan of your choice.
- All degrees and diplomas must be authorized and accredited by the Ministry of Education - Misrad HaHinuch, as per their requirements according to your field of study.
- As part of your Aliyah Benefit, you are entitled to receive a stipend for each one of your children -Kitzvat Yeladim. Bituach Leumi - The National Insurance Institute, is the office that oversees this. You must have a current bank account in order to receive the stipend
- Convert your driver's license. You have one year to do so.
- Apply for a discount on your Arnona - municipal rates and taxes
- You can apply for a Temporary Travel Document or Teudat Maavar which can only be issued after the first 3 months.
- If you are expecting your Aliyah Shipment, finalize details with your shipping agent.
All these "To-do" lists can be very overwhelming. Take it slowly - one day at a time and don't be shy to ask for help and advice from friends and family, social networks and support groups.