15 Top Tips on Saving Electricity in Israel
Saving Electricity in Winter
Hebrew: עצות לחסוך בחשמל בחורף
- Choose a heating appliance according to your needs, the frequency of use and the amount of space you need to heat.
- If you are purchasing a new heating appliance, check the electricity output and choose one that uses as little electricity as possible.
- Remember that an air-conditioner is the most effective heating appliance.
- If you leave the room, switch off the heater.
- Close your windows and doors to prevent the heat from escaping. Note: if you are using a heater that is powered by gas or other flammable material, make sure that your room is ventilated so that poisonous and toxic fumes will be eliminated.
- Set the temperature control to 20° Centigrade. For every one degree above that you increase the electricity consumption by a whopping 15%.
- Save on lighting. In winter we use much more electricity for lighting our homes and offices. Change the light bulbs to fluorescents and energy saving globes. You can save 80 per-cent on your lighting bill with these types of globes. In addition, the average life of fluorescents and energy saving globes is between 6 and 15 times longer than a regular globe.
- Do not dry your laundry over a heater or any other heating source. Use your clothes dryer or hang you laundry outside.
- Install a timer onto your boiler/geyser and use it. Two hours is sufficient to heat a boiler of 140 liters (for a family of four).
- The more water you boil in your kettle, the longer it takes and the more electricity it consumes. No need to boil a full kettle if you only need a small amount of hot water.
- Make sure that any electrical repairs, either to an appliance or to the household electrical wiring system, are carried out by a qualified electrician only.
- Do not used damaged appliances or plugs.
- Make sure that there is earthing in your household electrical wiring. Lots of old residential dwellings do not have this. Get a professional to install an earth if you do not have one.
- Do you know where your electrical board is and which meter belongs to you?
- In an electrical emergency contact the Israel Electric Company by dialing 103 or contact the police at telephone number 100.
Buy a large sheet of heavy duty plastic from your local hardware store, and hang this over your laundry when there is a threat of rain or a light shower. The wind will still blow your laundry dry even if it does take a bit longer. A plastic shower curtain which comes in different lengths and widths, is also handy for this purpose.
Saving Electricity - Summer 2013
Hebrew: עצות לחסוך בחשמל בקיץ
The Israel Electric Corporation is reviving it sproject to encourage lower electricity consumption this summer. This is in the wake of the latest 6.5% rate hike, retroactive to the beginning of April. Since August 2011, the price of electricity in Israel has increased by 30%. In the summer of 2012, 181,000 household signed up for the plan.
A household which cuts its electricity consumption by 10-20% will receive a 10% discount on their electricity bill. A household which cuts its electricity consumption by 20-50% will receive a 20% discount.
Related articles of Interest