The Capital of Israel - Jerusalem. 15 fascinating Jerusalem facts.
Some of the ancient ruins in Jerusalem, Israel's captital city - Image credit Unsplash
1.The capital of Israel is Jerusalem. Jerusalem is one of the oldest and most well-known cities in the world, and is a significant city to many religions
2. As at October 2019, the World Population Review lists the population of Jerusalem at 919,407
3. The city of Jerusalem according to the Jewish Midrash, has 70 names". The name Jerusalem is derived from the Hebrew word for 'peace' - shalom.
4. Today, Jerusalem is called Yerushalayim (Hebrew: יְרוּשָׁלַיִם). Jerusalem is also affectionately called "The City of Gold (Heb: Yerushalayim shel zahav)".
5. Israel's parliament and seat of government - The Knesset, is located in Jerusalem.
6. Jerusalem Day is an Israeli national holiday commemorating the reunification of Jerusalem in the 1967 Six-Day War
7. Jerusalem has more synagogues per capita than any city in the world.
8. Jerusalem’s Mount of Olives is home to 150,000 Jewish graves, dating back to the 1400s.
9. Under Israeli rule, Jews are not allowed to pray on the Temple Mount, their religion’s holiest site.
10. The Old City of Jerusalem is divided into the Muslim Quarter, Christian Quarter, Jewish Quarter and Armenian Quarter.
11. The Dome of the Rock is an Islamic shrine located on the Temple Mount
12. Jerusalem’s population is comprised of 61 percent Jews, 36 percent Muslims, 1 percent Arab Christians and 1 percent non-Arab Christians.
13. Nearly 37 percent of all Jerusalem families live below the poverty line, which represents 61 percent of all Jerusalem’s children.
14. Jerusalem is home to more than 400 high-tech companies.
15. The American Embassy was recently relocated to Jerusalem