Great & notable inventions from Israel - the start-up nation.
Hebrew: המצאות ישראליות
Image credit: BabySense Breathing Monitor - Israel Innovation Authority
Thank you Israel! The creative minds and excellent entrepreneurial skills of Israel's population have resulted in some of the world's greatest inventions and one of the highest per capita rates of patents filed. Did you know that in proportion to its population, Israel has the largest number of start-up companies in the world? Did you know that Israel has the highest number of scientists and engineers per capita than any other country in the world? Jerusalem's Hebrew University, Department of Agriculture, brought us the delightful cherry tomato. Here are a few in a long list of Israel's other greatest and notable inventions...
In the field of agriculture
- TAFTEFET: The smart drip and micro-irrigation system which releases water in controlled, slow drips to provide precise crop irrigation.
- CHERRY TOMATO - that small red, tasty salad ingredient. It ripens slowly and doesn’t rot during shipment. (Does Israel have a national food?)
In the field of defense
- UZI Sub-machine gun invented by Uzi Gal in 1955.
- ARROW anti-ballistic missiles.
- MERKAVA tank – a tank optimized for crew survival and rapid repair of battle damage.
- IAI Lavi – a modern fighter aircraft.
- PROTECTOR USV - an unmanned surface vehicle
- PYTHON air-to-air missiles
- UNMANNED aerial vehicles – an aircraft that flies without a human crew
- NAUTILUS laser system – a laser developed for military use.
- IRON DOME the mobile air defense system.
- BARAK 1 surface-to-air missile
- MAGNOSHOCKER combines a metal detector and a taser to immediately neutralize a dangerous person
- TECSARTAVOR Reconnaissance satellite
- TAR-21 assault rifle – a modern assault rifle designed with the aim to be used as the IDF's standard assault rifle.
- TECHNION SATELLITE launched into space in July 1998, it is one of the smallest satellites in the world. The cube-shaped satellite has 45 centimeter sides and weighs 48 kilograms and has extremely low power consumption.
- WALL RADAR a unique radar utilizing Ultra Wide Band (UWB) to allow users to see through walls.
- IPC Injured Personnel Carrier - A unique evacuation method that allows you to carry a wounded person on your back.
In the Field of Medicine
- FIRSTCARE Emergency Bandage (also known as the “Israeli bandage”), invented by an Israeli military medic is used to stop bleeding from hemorrhagic wounds in trauma situations.
- SENSAHART a diagnostic device that can be used at home and in the hospital to detect when a heart attack is coming on.
- NICOM non-invasive cardiac output monitor to prevent sepsis, a life-threatening blood infection that causes one in four hospital deaths
- BABYSENSE breathing monitor by HiSense alerts parents of respiratory cessation (apnea) in babies.
- BLIZZARDSurvival line of products which include hypothermic blankets and jackets and are leaders in the market in hypothermia care. The lifesaving wraps withstand temperatures as low as -4 F/-20 C.
- PILLCAM or capsule endoscopy for visualizing and detecting disorders of the GI tract
- BIOWELD by IonMed bonds surgical incisions within minutes using cold plasma instead of painful stitches, staples or glue
- EXELON drug to fight Alzheimers
In the field of technology, engineering, computers and software
- EPILADY the first electric hair remover. Since 1986 it has sold around 30 million units
- RAV BARIACH introduced the steel security door that has become Israel’s standard. Its locking systems incorporates cylinders which extend from different points in the door and then go into the door frame
- DISK ON KEY the small portable computer information storage device made by ScanDisk
- VOIP Voice Over Internet Protocol technology. This method of communication has revolutionized the communication industry and allows for an inexpensive and effective way of communicating globally.
- BABYLON the one-click computer translation dictionary
- VIBER the instant messaging voice-over-Internet Protocol application for smartphones.
- GETTAXI, the smartphone application that connects between customers and taxi drivers website.
- MOBILEYE vision-based advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) providing warnings for collision prevention and mitigation.
- ORCAM MyEye, is a portable, artificial vision device that allows the visually impaired to understand text and identify objects through audio feedback describing what such people are unable to
- WAZE the GPS-based geographical navigation application program for smartphones with GPS support.
- WECU (pronounced 'We See You') Technologies, is a technology able to pickup, analyze, and identify in real-time terrorists. WeCU is being implemented in airports around the world to help identify potential terrorists.
- WIX - a popular website content management system
- WIPES - moist paper wipes for infant, cosmetic and household use - 1985
- OFEQ satellite
- ORBITER transportable unmanned aerial vehicle
- ITURAN vehicle location and protection system
- AFIMILK computerized dairy farms
- OUTBRAIN online advertising content discovery platform
- DOLPHIN robotic swimming pool cleaner
- DALKAN Refuelling your vehicle without your wallet
- FIREWALL information security software - 1993
Can't wait to see what the next 70 years will bring!