Yom Haatzmaut first aid! How to tell when your steak is cooked to perfection.
If you have been nominated to manage the Yom Haatzmaut traditional barbecue, there are a few tricks to keep up your sleeve. Use them and everyone will think that you are an expert chef. The most important task of the day aside from counting empty beer bottles, is to make sure your family's steaks are grilled to perfection. Here is a tried and tested way to test for doneness:
By putting your thumb and one of your other fingers (as indicated below) together lightly, with your other hand, poke the ball of your palm. The feel, or resistance, indicates how firm your beef steak should be for the desired doneness.
Once you have cooked your steaks on both sides and you think they are ready follow the instructions below. If the firmness of the steak is the same on the ball of your palm…it is time to take the steak off to rest.
- Rare steaks. Make a circle with your index finger and thumb, press the ball on the palm side of your thumb. Steaks with the same soft texture will be rare.
- Medium-rare steaks. Make a circle with your middle finger and thumb, press the ball of thumb. Steaks with the same soft and springy feel will be medium rare.
- Medium steaks. Make a circle with your ring finger and thumb, press the ball of thumb. Steaks with the same springy feel will be medium.
- Well done steaks. Make a circle with your little finger and thumb, press the ball of thumb. Steaks with the same firm feeling will be well done.
Remember, before putting your food on the BBQ, you will need a Naf-Naf - a traditional Israeli barbecue accessory to ensure a perfect fire and flame.
- For the perfect BBQ - must-know beef cuts, their names and numbers
- Head out early to find the best picnic spot
When your starving family is nagging for their food, there is one more Israeli trick - put your thumb and all of your other fingers together lightly and from your wrist, shake your hand up and down a few times. This is the Israeli way of saying "savlanut" or patience. While you reassure them that their steak will be done in a few minutes, you can drink another beer to add to the collection of empty bottles.