Is Covid-19 affecting your job search? The video interview for recruitment and pre-screening candidates online.
Valuable career and job search information.
The coronavirus pandemic is beginning to send job seekers into a tail spin. You can't afford to miss a job interview because of the self-quarantine regulations recently imposed and you may not want to risk a face-to-face interview for fear of contracting the virus. There is a solution to this dilemma. Job seekers, can use video technology in their job applications.
Coronavirus aside, at the best of times, getting a job in Israel can be challenging but with today's technology you can even begin your job search a long while before you arrive in Israel. A video interview prior to your aliyah, relocation and move to Israel can put you ahead of the game.
Video interview technology
On-line face-to-face meetings via Skype (yes, people are still using it) or similar video conference technology and software is the answer. Whatsapp video, Messenger video, Facetime or the latest app will do the job without any expense to you. Live streaming is also an option. If you are not using video technology in your job search, you need to think about starting now.
Video interviewing is a fast and inexpensive way of conducting a first round interview whether you are already in Israel or even if you are still abroad. For HR agencies, hiring and recruitment companies and especially for you, it is a convenient way of getting the interview process done.
Video interview tips & preparation
Interviews can be pretty daunting at the best of times but being on camera can be equally scary. With a little bit of planning and preparation an on-line video interview is not much different to a regular interview but there are a few techniques to keep in mind:
- Make sure that your internet connection, computer equipment and software are working correctly. Pay special attention to your microphone.
- If your on-line interview is taking place from your home make sure there are no background noises; ambulance sirens, barking dogs your beloved cat, crowing roosters or your toddlers favorite nursery rhymes are not likely to be appreciated. Audible and visual distractions like these can cost you the job.
- Microphones are sensitive and can pick up almost any noise. Don't shuffle papers, tap your pen or your fingers.
- Watch your body language. Sit up straight. Don't wave your hands around; we suggest keeping your hands in the pyramid position close to, or flat on your desk.
- Don't swing in your chair.
- Don't forget when listening, nod and smile to show you are engaged. Don't yawn and don't look bored.
- Mute your mobile phone and your landline.
- Tidy up. Make sure that your desk or table and bookshelves are neat and tidy. A potential employer may be put off if they see you are surrounded by a "balagan" - בלגן - (mess/untidy).
- A plain background is best - not white or against a window if you can avoid it.
- Maintain good eye contact. Keep your eyes focused on the camera and not on the screen.
- Have a pen, notepad and copy of your resume on your desk.
Video interview questions
You might be sent a list of questions prior to the interview but if not, you can expect to be asked the same type of questions during a video interview as you would in a regular interview. Make sure you have your answers prepared too.
Be mindful that there could be a sound delay of a few seconds. Don't jump in to answer a question, allow the interviewer to finish his/her sentence.
Video interview dress code tips
Treat your video interview exactly as you would a regular interview. Dress for success. If you are showing up on someone's computer bear a few things in mind:
- Shiny fabrics, like silk, may create a glare
- Avoid patterned fabrics. Some plaids and stripes distort - you've seen this on TV many times.
- Choose solid colors but stay away from white. Blues and pastels are recommended.
- If you wear spectacles, adjust the lighting in the room to reduce glare from the lenses.
- Ladies, small pieces of jewelry are best. Keep the bling to a minimum. To reduce glare invest in professional oil-free, anti-shine makeup. Make sure your nails are well manicured and keep the high fashion nail varnish for another day.
Researching the company
You've checked out the company website now check out your their channel on YouTube. With video becoming more and more popular, many companies have a YouTube channel with short clips and product information. You can learn a ton from these. Check them out!
Want to stand out from the crowd? When submitting your resume make sure that your cover-letter states that you are available for an on-line, video interview.
As with any job interview, you should conclude by thanking the interviewer for their time. You might want to consider sending a follow-up, thank you email as well.
Israel employment resources